It occurred to me today that using essential oils is like the easiest mom “skill” to learn that can have a huge impact on your emotions, health, and lifestyle. I’ve been using them a few years–before they were “cool”–so I’ve got some experience here. They are what makes me a ninja with my kids. Feel free to steal my ideas, because yes, they are good.
- For the Threenager: These miniature teenagers are complex, so what you’re going to do is find the emotion that you’re dealing with on this chart, and put a drop of the corresponding oil in your diffuser. If you’re dealing with three emotions at once, put a drop of all three corresponding oils in! Then, put a baby gate up and keep your child in the room so they can’t escape the air. If you can’t read the oil names on this chart, don’t worry, because this chart is printed on the inside lid of the Emotional Aromatherapy kit from doTERRA which contains all of these oil blends.
- Homework Hack: Apply some InTune and let it do its thing. I could give you a fancy diffuser blend since lots of essential oils can help with focus and mental clarity, but let’s make it easy on ourselves since we’re moms, okay?
- When the Grumpies hit: hint–this will work on your grown man-child if you have one, and yourself, as well. In fact, I find that the time between the end of school and the start of dinner is insane (like my children turn into angry dinosaurs that just want to attack everything in sight. It’s not awesome.), and that my kids might start the grumpy mood, but we all finish it together. So my hack for this is to start my diffuser about 15 minutes before the kids get home. My favorite part is that no one can get away from the oil in the air, since there’s no way I can apply oil to an angry dinosaur-child’s foot. This works out well.Diffuser Blend:
1 drop Cheer
1 drop ForgiveInhaler Hack: (for you, or anyone who has the ability to reason when they’re feeling grumpy)
Just apply one drop of your choice of emotional aromatherapy oil (Hack #1) or doTERRA Serenity Blend to the inhaler wick, label the inhaler, and breathe it in when you need it. My kids like to carry these around with them to use when they need it.
- Sweet Dreams: to help make the Boogey Man go away, pop these in the diffuser in your child’s room. No diffuser? Put on a cloth and place near your child’s head. (Don’t put the oils directly on the pillow, so that you can remove the oils from the room if you need to)
- Dreams, period. Meaning, go-to-sleep-now-before-I-lose-my-mind (or before I fall asleep in your bed while you’re still awake):Diffuser Blend:
5 drops Lavender
3 Drops Vetiver
2 Drops Ylang Ylang
1 Drop Frankincense
Or put these in a 10 mL roller bottle, top with olive or fractionated coconut oil, and roll on your child’s feet before bedtime:
Roller Bottle Blend
10 drops Lavender
6 Drops Vetiver
4 Drops Ylang Ylang
2 Drops Franincense
6. Hand Cleanser: Put this in a little glass spray bottle, label it, and BAM, you don’t have to worry about hormone disruptors, alcohol, or other garbage in your hand sanitizer. Plus, what kids don’t like to spray things? Oh, and it’s way cheaper than commercial sanitizers.
- In spray bottle, combine aloe vera and doTERRA On Guard.
- Fill the rest of bottle with water. Shake until combined.
- To use, spray on hands and rub together.
7. Bug Bites: Keep this handy to roll on bug bites. Meaning, carry it in your car, your pocket, and throw one in your bathroom cupboard. In a pinch, I have rubbed either of these essential oils neat (undiluted) right on the bight or sting spot. I wouldn’t recommend doing that on a regular basis (you don’t want to risk sensitization), but both of these are safe to use “neat” once in a while.
Fill a roller bottle (any size) with
1/4 full with Lavender essential oil,
1/4 full with Melelauca (Tea Tree) essential oil,
1/4 full with Witch Hazel
1/4 full with a carrier oil (Olive Oil, fractionated Coconut Oil, etc.)
8. Seasonal Threats: Lemon, Peppermint, Lavender. Put two drops of each in your diffuser, and place the diffuser near your bed at night. Additionally, you could add one drop each to a personal inhaler and take that with you to sniff throughout the day. I struggled a LOT with seasonal issues previously, and this is honestly the most impactful solution I’ve found! (work on healing your gut, too, but you probably already knew that if you’re reading about essential oils)
9. Fake Clean House: Purity. I just throw that baby in my diffuser, spray it around the house with some water, or I even add a few drops in the washing machine and re-rinse the clothes when they sit for too long. It happens to me, and don’t lie, I know it happens to you, too. Purity is the difference between my sanity and the refrigerator when I clean it out, between me and the dog that has that Beagle Smell, and between me and putting the house up for free in a yard sale because I’m sick of cleaning. Purity saves me. Often. The olfactory system has a big impact on our psychology and how we perceive things. So smell, and see a clean house when you visit me, alright?!
10. Sickies: On Guard. Any time anyone needs an immune system boost, just rub a drop of this with some olive oil on their feet. Adults or older kids–I rub it behind their ears, too. Every four hours until I don’t think we need it anymore, and then one more time for good measure. It hasn’t failed me yet, plus it smells delicious.
SO WHERE DO I BUY IT?! I’ve made a hack for that, too. http://tinyurl.com/buyessentialoils . That was easy, right? Follow the directions on the first page to purchase at wholesale (up to 50% off), and get a free reference book from me when you buy an enrollment kit! Then you’ll know even more. 🙂 I don’t have any special discount for you to get your roller bottles and spray bottles, but I buy mine from http://tinyurl.com/buyherbsupplies. (Did you see that? Another hack to make your life easier when trying to remember where to go.)