I think it was daughter number five (I’m the second oldest of eight girls) who coined the term “Donut Date” to refer to when our Daddy would take one of us individually out on a “date” with him when I was young. It generally meant we were getting a donut or going to the grocery store for some root beer or another treat, which was a pretty big deal at the time. In fact, I still bug my Dad to take me on a date, except I hope it’s to places like Disney World or a major music concert these days. 😉 Now, the tradition has moved on and I date my own three-year-old daughter. She gets terribly excited when I ask her if she wants to have a “mommy-daughter date”. There are no arguments and she is on her best behavior while we go to the local coffee shop for a slice of carrot cake and juice! My favorite part, though? The conversation. My phone gets put away, no books are brought along, and we don’t sit at a table with anyone else (though she has a way about her that attracts the elderly men to come over for a chat about her baby doll!). Instead, we chat. I ask questions, and we dream together over hot cocoa and cookies.
Dating your children is an easy and precious way to create beautiful moments for the two of you. Here are 40 Date Night questions to get you started:
1. What is the best dream you ever had, and why?
2. What is the worst dream you ever had, and why?
3. How do you like to be woken up in the morning?
4. What are the top five things you are good at doing?
5. What are the three occupations you would love to have when you grow up?
6. If you were to plan your own funeral, what would you want it to be like?
7. What are five activities you want to do within the next year?
8. Who is your best friend, and why?
9. What person can you not stand, and why?
10. What embarrasses you that I do?
11. What are you proud of that I do?
12. What makes you laugh?
13. What makes you cry?
14. What are the top three things I do that make you feel (not “know”) loved?
15. What is the most important thing you have learned in life?
16. If you were to plan a sleepover, what would it include?
17. If you were to be one animal, what would you be and why?
18. What are your three favorite songs and why?
19. What one song can’t you stand, and why?
20. What is your favorite movie, and why?
21. What are the top three reasons why you know you will be a good spouse/parent when you are grown?
22. What is your favorite physical feature about yourself and why?
23. What three things do you not like about yourself, and why?
24. When people compliment you, what is the top thing they say about you?
25. What are the top three compliments from others that you would like them to say about you?
26. What is your favorite Bible story and why?
27. What is your favorite Bible verse and why?
28. Who are your top two favorite historical characters and why?
29. In your life, what has been your proudest moment?
30. In your life, what has been your most embarrassing moment?
31. If you were to create your own job to earn money, what would you do and how would you do it?
32. If you were to create your own cake and own ice-cream sundae, what ingredients would you include?
33. What makes you feel safe?
34. What makes you feel scared?
35. What are two things that your friends or other people you know do that you don’t like?
36. What are two things that your friends or other people you know do that you would also like to do?
37. Would you rather be a boy or a girl, and why?
38. If you could go anywhere in the world and do anything you wanted, where would you go and what would you do?
39. What school subject are you smartest in, and how do you know?
40. What school subject do you struggle the most in, and how do you know?