I’m a big fan of fruit crisps since they’re so easy and delicious. Here is my healthy rendition of a fruit crisp. Enjoy!
|Apple Cranberry Walnut Fruit Crisp|
Prep: 30 Minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 5 cups sliced apples (unpeeled for extra fiber)
- 1/4-1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I use 1/4 C four and 1/4 C flaxseed meal for added nutritional benefit)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place apples and cranberries together in a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Combine all of the rest of the ingredients together to make the topping. Mixture will resemble coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle this topping over the fruit.
- Bake in a 375f oven for 30-35 minutes or until the fruit is tender and the topping is golden.
Note: 1) This is great with vanilla icecream! 2) If you’re like me, you want to double the topping portion. Don’t. I already did it for you. 🙂
Variation: if you’re short on time, just use a can of pie filling in place of the fruit and put in the oven on your “broil” setting for a few minutes until bubbly and golden brown. Watch it–it won’t take long to warm through!